i had a sudden craving yesterday for anything chocolate or peanut butter.
so i found this recipe and whipped up a batch of peanut butter chocolate cupcakes.
and they were incredible.
i don't know if it was the ganache filling or the light cream cheese icing or the sour cream in the cakes that made these cupcakes amazing, but whatever it was they were just that - amazing.
i brought them to swim practice tonight for my team and everyone ate them within 5 minutes flat.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
with ganache filling
from Squirrel Bakes
1 cup flour
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup and 2 tsp dutch cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla ***I used 1 tsp instead
4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 cup whole milk
5 ounces softened cream cheese
4 tbsp softened unsalted butter
2 and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
What to do:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
2) In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) Add in oil and sour cream and combine.
4) Gradually add water. Combine in vinegar and vanilla.
5) Add egg. Combine until blended.
6) Spoon into cupcake liners. It will be very soupy. Don't worry!
7) Bake for 25-30 minutes. **I baked for 30 minutes. It probably could have even baked for 32 minutes.
8) Let cool
1) In a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, combine cream cheese and butter until whipped.
2) Slowly add confectioner's sugar until whipped.
3) Beat on medium for 4 minutes.
4) Add peanut butter and combine
1) Melt chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.
2) Add peanut butter and corn syrup, mixing until melted and combined.
3) Remove from heat. Add milk and whisk until combined.
This is the first time i've ever filled a cupcake. I liked the way I did it thought.
Taking a sharp knife, pierce the cake about halfway between the center of the cupcake and the edge.
Pointing the knife inward, cut a circle so you get a dome shaped piece of the cupcake loose.
Fill the hole with ganache.
Cut the tip off of your dome and place the flat piece of cupcake on top of whole.
Now guys, I don't normally like cream cheese icing. But oh my are these amazing!