i'm not use to baking "simple things"
when i bake, i like it to be an experiment.
however, when my good friend asked me make him plain vanilla cupcakes for his birthday, i knew exactly which recipe i would use.
it's from none other then Magnolia's Bakery
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 12 capacity muffin tins with liners
2) In a bowl, combine flours
3) In an electric mixer, cream the butter until soft. Add the sugar slowly, and beat. Add the eggs one at a time, and combine.
4) Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating between the milk and the vanilla. Feel free to add a little extra vanilla.
5) Beat until combined. Using a spatula, spoon batter into tins 3/4 of the way full.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7) For the icing, in an electric mixer add the butter, 4 cups of the sugar, milk and the vanilla. Beat until combined, about 3-5 minutes.
8) Gradually add the remaining sugar, one cup at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
9) Decorate and enjoy!